We know that if children and young people are at the heart of their communities, shaping their own futures, then those communities will be better for everyone.
We believe social action has the power to be a core driver of children and young people’s progression and development. In partnership with the #iwill Fund, Young Manchester is committed to making social action business as usual for organisations working with children and young people in Manchester-to date over 10,000 children and young people have engaged in social action through our Youth and Play fund.
We aim to recognise and celebrate the great work of children and young people across the city, through our partner network and beyond .The City of Social Action will provide a platform for young people and organisations to shout about youth social action, youth voice and youth led projects, centring young people making change in their communities.
Together we will build the case for future investment, and make Manchester the place to be for youth social action, youth voice and youth leadership.
What is Youth Social Action?
We define youth social action as ‘action taken to create a positive change’, underpinned by six core principles.
– Reflective: Recognising contributions as well as valuing critical reflection and learning
– Youth led: Led, owned and shaped by young people’s needs, ideas and decision making.
– Challenging: Stretching and ambitious as well as enjoyable and enabling.
– Progressive: Sustained and providing links to other activities and opportunities.
– Embedded: Accessible to all and well integrated to existing pathways to become a habit for life.
– Socially Impactful: Have a clear intended benefit to a community, cause or social problem.
What will we be doing?
Through the City of Social Action, we will support the development, growth and sustainability of youth social action across the city with an exciting programme of work including…
– Funding – a dedicated fund for youth led social action.
– Workshops and training – we’ll be programming youth facilitated workshops and training for the sector.
– Youth voice – a focus on growing our own youth voice work and connecting youth voice across the city.
– Communications – we’ll be leading a campaign to celebrate great social action, great young people and great organisations.
CoSA Grants for Young People
We’ve launched these grants for groups of young people who want to make a positive change on issues that matter to them. From campaigns and activism to community events and leadership, we want to support young people to make real change together! Apply now and your group could receive up to £1000!
We want to support youth led events happening across the city. Whether it’s in your local community or city wide, in-person or online we want to support partners providing opportunities for young people to design and deliver their own events on themes that matter to them.
Groundworks Climate Social Action Training & Grants
Groundworks team of climate change specialists and experienced youth workers have developed a number of resources to support youth workers and community group leaders to deliver environmental social action with the young people they work with.
Their Climate Social Action workshops are designed for youth workers and community group leaders working within the city of Manchester, are free to attend and include a range of delivery resources and session plans. After attneding the training session, youth workers can support their group of young people to apply for a grant of £500 to deliver a climate action project.
Do you run your own youth led organisation or social action project? We want to work with youth led groups and young facilitators to put together a series of workshops and events for organisations working with children and young people across the city.
Join the #cityofsocialaction campaign on social media! Share your stories celebrating youth activism, campaigning, social action and leadership and join us in championing great young people across the city, using #cityofsocialaction.